Stomach ulcers are known as gastric ulcers They are often sore that develop on the lining of the stomach. Ulcers can also occur in part of the intestine and are known as duodenal ulcers. Stomach and duodenal ulcers are sometimes referred to as peptic ulcers.
Causes of stomach ulcers
- Infections with Helicobacter pylori bacterium.This bacteria feeds on the mucus lining of the stomach.When the mucosal lining is worn away and stops functioning effectively,the wall of the stomach then has direct contact with the stomach acid which damages stomach tissues and causes sores known as stomach ulcer.
- Anti-inflamatary medications/pain killers(ibuprofen and aspirin)
- Consuming alcohol frequently
Symptoms of stomach ulcers
- Indigestion which causes pain and discomfort in the stomach area
- Heart burn: Burning or dull pain from belly button to chest.
- Weight loss
- Nausea and vomiting
- Poor appetite: Not eating because of pain
Complications of gastric ulcers
- Perforation: Some ulcer causes hole in the stomach wall.
- Blockage of the stomach
Dietary changes that prevent stomach ulcer
- Fruits and vegetables: They are rich in Anti-oxidant and contain Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fiber: Diets high insoluble diet fiber reduce the risk of developing stomach ulcer.
- Probiotics: Live bacteria foods (yogurt)
- Vitamin c (Oranges and tomatoes). We all have unique reactions to foods, so if acidic ones make your ulcer feel worse, skip them.
- Zinc: It helps heal wounds. It is found in Oysters, spinach and beet.
- Selenium: Found in Brazilian nuts. Reduces infection complications and promotes healing.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine: They cause the body to produce more gastric acid.
Home remedies for stomach ulcers
- Cabbage and carrot: It helps to strengthen the stomach lining and then get rid of the ulcer. They have anti-peptic ulcer factor that may stimulate healing of peptic ulcer.
- Direction: Make smoothie with
- 1/2 cabbage
- 2 carrots and take for a few weeks
- Cayenne pepper and warm water: The compound capsaicin in cayenne pepper may inhibit the secretion of acids in the stomach, stimulate gastric mucosal blood flow and mucus secretions. It boosts production of alkali.
- Direction: Mix
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 glass of warm water
- Take 2-3 times for 2-3 days then increase cayenne pepper up to 1/4 teaspoon per day for the rest of the day in 1 week.
- Banana with honey: Use unripe or ripe bananas ( it has anti-bacterial properties). It strengthens mucosal resistance of the stomach. It also removes acidity of the gastric juice.
- Direction: Cut 2-3 bananas into small chops, dry it and grind to powder.
- Mix 2 table spoons of this powder with 1 table spoon of honey.
- Take 2-3 times a day for 1 week
- Coconut: Coconut milk and coconut water are effective at reducing and managing stomach ulcers.
- Directions: Take 1 glass of coconut water/milk 2-3 times a day for 1 week.
- You can also eat the kernel of a tender coconut or
- Take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil 2 times a day for 1 week.
- Raw honey: It has an enzyme called glucose oxidase which produce hydrogen peroxide that help to kill harmful bacteria that cause ulcer. It suits and decrease the inflammation of the stomach lining.
- Direction: Take 2 tablespoons of honey. Consume daily. Take in the morning on an empty stomach. It cleanses your bowl, strengthen your stomach lining and treat stomach ulcer.
- Aloe Vera juice: It decreases the amount of stomach acid.
- Direction: Take 1 table spoon of Aloe Vera juice from the gel, add to 1 glass of water. Take 1-2 times a day.
- Garlic and water: Garlic has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Direction: Take 2-3 garlic cloves, crush it and consume alongside with water.
- Apple cider vinegar, Baking soda and water: This remedy will help you to reduce the discomfort and pain caused by ulcers. It also helps in reducing the burning sensation and acidity.
- Direction: Mix 2 table spoons of apple cider, 2 cups of water and a pinch of baking soda. Take daily.
Start your ulcer dietary meal plan now!!!
Register for 1:1 coaching to get dietary meal plan and healthy lifestyles modification that heal ulcer.
Testimonial from 1:1 coaching program
Click on the link below and join my 1 month program that heals ulcer