Diabetes are long lasting health condition that affects how your body turns food into energy. Most foods we eat are turned into glucose and are released into the blood. The cells convert this glucose into energy.
When glucose is high in the blood, it signals the pancreas to secrete a hormone called insulin. Insulin helps glucose get into the cells of our body.
Diabetes occur when:
- the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin.
- the cells do not respond to insulin
There are three types of diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes: This is common in children. It occurs when the pancreas produces no insulin and is as a result of autoimmune reaction which destroys the beta-cells in the pancreas that produces insulin.
- Type 2 diabetes: It occurs more in adults older than 40 years of age. The pancreas produces insulin but the cells does not respond to its signal. In some cases, the pancreas does not produce insulin sufficiently.
- Gestational diabetes: It occurs only in women during pregnancy, who do not have diabetes before hand. It can put women at increased risk during pregnancy.
Symptoms of diabetes
- Extreme thirst
- Frequent urination
- Increased appetite
- Fatigue or exhaustion
- Dry skin
- Vision changes( such as blurred)
- Sometimes unexpected weight loss or weight gain
- Slow healing injuries
- Frequent illness or infections
- Hand pain
Long term complications (if not controlled) leads to kidney disease, cardiovascular disease, vision loss and lower limb amputation.
Treatment of diabetes with diet
- Eat healthier carbohydrates
- Eat less salt
- Eat less red and processed meat
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Choose healthier fats
- Cut down on added sugar
- Be smart with snacks
- Drink alcohol sensibly
- Don’t take so called diabetic food
- Get your minerals and vitamins from foods.
Don’t forget to be physically active (at least 30 mins exercise daily).
To manage and take care of yourself, learn the skills to eating healthy, follow diet plan for diabetes, be active and change your lifestyle.
Start a diabetes program today!!!
Register for 1:1 coaching to get a healthy diet plan, workouts and healthy lifestyle modifications to normalize blood sugar.
Click on the link below and join my 3 months program